[ a / cm / ic / sci / tg / v / vg / vip / y ] [ index / top / statistics / report bug ]

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View Post

File: 8KiB, 288x175, money crab.jpg [View Same] [Google] [iqdb] [SauceNAO]
4197963 No.4197963 [Reply] [Original]
Quoted By: >>4198025 >>4198031

>Post if you got an art related job, legit freelancing as primary income source is fine too
>Do you have any formal art education

Last weekend, I went to a job fair and found how few art jobs there are, mostly in one field. Additionally, recently, I heard that majority of art college people won't really work in the field or don't want to, and it's basically a daycare for adults founded by rich parents. Also, I was shocked when I discovered that not even digital artists are tech savvy, and even web or ui designers are usually programmers with githubs rather than portfolios and a behance profile. The same about /3DCG/ positions I asked about.

Could anyone clarify this to me, please?

>> No.4198025
File: 151KiB, 675x900, 1519871747442.jpg [View Same] [Google] [iqdb] [SauceNAO]

>>4197963
I can answer
>Additionally, recently, I heard that majority of art college people won't really work in the field or don't want to, and it's basically a daycare for adults founded by rich parents.
Really depends which country/school we're talking about, your mileage may vary. For example in my country non-private schools are mostly founded by the state, so that rich parents thing doesn't matter. But it's true, I frequent(ed) two art school, both in which 3/4 of the class didn't really seem to give a shit or want to pursue a career in art. Half the class gets filtered during the first year. If you want to meet people who're invested you gotta go to ateliers and figure drawing classes.

>> No.4198031

>>4197963
>>Post if you got an art related job, legit freelancing as primary income source is fine too
Freelance illustrator
>>Do you have any formal art education
Bachelor in Graphic Design

What I learned in college has absolutely zero to do with what I do now. I had to pick up all the necessary knowledge in internships and my first junior job at an animation studio.

I agree with you OP, I'm genuinely pissed off my college offered so few opportunities to learn actually useful things like UI and UX design or HTML. Or 3D design? Forget about it. All we did was paint, draw, make fucking linocuts and 80s style posters. I don't have a single thing I made in college that I would include in my portfolio today.

>daycare for adults
I couldn't have said it better

Theme [ FoolFuuka - Default / FoolFuuka - Midnight / Fuuka / Yotsubatwo - Yotsuba / Yotsubatwo - Yotsuba B ]